Monday, January 26, 2015

The Ever Underestimated D4

I know that I really don't need to be paying any attention to more RPG rules sets just right about now. A decade ago, I advertised a Four-Sider Universal System (or somehting that abbreviated spelled "FUSS) at Peryton Publishing for April Fools Day, thinking it was the funniest thing ever. Then there is the old-school joke about using them as caltrops. But ever since Charlie Fleming, of RARR! I'm A Monster Publishing, put out his 15-page horror setting (a complete RPG actually) The Librarians of Doom, I've been looking at d4 matrices.

I find that LoD, or Librarians, captures what we call urban fantasy as well as some cosmic horror rather well. Ever since Highlander, that genre has been rife with sub-par emulations of the film in all forms of media, especially RPGs. The biggest problem is that folks don't remember to keep things simple. Go with a one-liner (Don't lose your head over it) and keep the mechanics simple, (chop and clop, then POP!), WALLAH! You can go funny or sinister with ease.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/110862/D4Core-Universal-Basic-set

I hope to do crossover scenarios for D4Core rules as well own TACK (Crawlspace) system, over the next couple of years.

The original librarian of doom.

2 comments: